The goal of an areola tattoo is to create a very natural areola and nipple. This procedure can be used after a mastectomy and also useful for women with fading or irregular areolas.
This technique is very similar to regular tattooing but with a topical anesthetic. Tiny needles will transfer pigment to your skin giving the areola and nipple color & a 3D appearance. This process is done in 2 steps - a 1st appointment and a touch up 8 weeks later.
How is the Treatment Performed? The pigment is inserted into your skin in a skilled and artistic way so that a nipple and areola are visually recreated. They will not be physically reconstructed, but you will get a visual appearance of a 3D nipple together with the surrounding area.
How to Prepare for Nipple and Areola Micropigmentation? I will guide you through the whole procedure during the consultation you have done prior to the treatment via phone, in person, or online.
These are some basic steps you could expect:
- You should take a shower before the treatment,
- Do not apply any lotions, creams on your breast,
- Wear some support (a bra or a tight camisole) to hold the bandages in place,
- A consent form/health questionnaire will be given
Afterwards, you will be taken into a private comfortable room where outlines of the area and color are decided, numbing agent and procedure are completed.
What to Expect During the Procedure?
I will create a design made to match the nipple on the breast, if there is a nipple there. If not, we will use a stencil or visually draw and shape one in. We will discuss the exact position, size and coloring, once you approve we will begin the tattoo process.
Once you have completed the procedure, I will apply some ointment and place a bandage over your new mastectomy nipple and areola tattoo.
What Does the Aftercare Involve?
Outer/Surface healing takes about 10 days
Full completion healing 6-8 weeks
The following could be expected after the treatment:
- Some temporary swelling and/or redness for the first day or two.
- Scabbing or flaking may occur on the tattooed area. This is a normal part of the healing process, but it is important not to pick at it since you may remove the pigment and cause infection.
- Keep the tattooed area clean.
- Use clean soft towel after showering or bathing to pat the area dry.
- You will be given ointment to use a few times a day for a couple of days.
- Do not go swimming, sunbathing or to a sauna and Jacuzzi for at least two weeks following the procedure.
- You will be given a follow-up appointment for the second treatment where additional pigment is applied. Lasting 3-5 years